This device seems completely unsuitable for use as a ZFS slog as it is
described in this case.  The ZFS log isn't just there for the case where
we loose power but also for the (hopefully even rarer) cases where the
operating system panics.  How would this device work in that case [ with
fast reboot and with reboot via the BIOS ] ?

I have no problem with OpenSolaris having a driver for this, and while
the command seems very clunky and unfortunate it seems necessary given
the current state of the hardware.   My concern is how it is recommended
for use (or implied even).  However I don't really see that as arc review.

If this were a full case on Sun designed hardware and software I'd be
TCA strong verging on TCR to have the functionality redesigned to not
require the command for "backup".  However it is a third party device so
it is what it is.

--
Darren J Moffat