On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Darren J Moffat
> <darrenm at opensolaris.org> wrote:
>>
>> Why would I want to use ksh93 builtins if I have /usr/gnu/bin explicitly in
>> my path ?  Are the ksh93 builtin versions 100% compatible in all respects
>> with the GNU ones ?
>
> No. It's explicitly stated that --version in particular is worded differently.
> I've seen configure scripts and applications take apart --version output
> in order to divine version-specific behaviour

This will break anyway in the future. GNU coreutils changed the
'wording' of the --version output a couple of times in the past.
ARC...ARC... the ARC case for GNU coreutils nor the manpages specify a
specific wording 'syntax'. Sounds like from an ARC perspective this
does not matter.

>> If so then I wonder why we are even shipping the GNU
>> ones.
>
> Because that's what many users and applications expect. And there's
> a world outside ksh93.

Right. But within ksh93 scripts this optimization makes sense. And the
tools in /usr/bin still require modernisation.

Irek