On 03/24/10 11:56 AM, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 02:22:56PM -0400, Sebastien Roy wrote:
>
>> On 03/24/10 02:09 PM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>>
>>> That's fine with me, but you need to fix the "Committed" value for your
>>> package names -- clearly they are not Committed, since you know you'll
>>> be changing them soon.
>>>
>> Package names should be no less than Committed, especially now that
>> IPS can refer to a package using an older name.  Since package names
>> are how package dependencies are built, and how software is bundled
>> and installed, anything less than Committed doesn't make sense to
>> me.
>>
> I thought IPS supports pkg renaming, so why should pkg names be
> Committed?

Indeed.  There are more package renames and breakups in the works too --
the big change to hierarchical names was just the first round.

Furthermore, I seem to recall that IPS packaging in Open Solaris has
automatic dependency tracking, which isn't so dependent on package names
but on package manifests.

Btw, has anyone altered the docs folk that all those "Availability"
attributes in the man pages are now obsolete?

     - Garrett