On Tue 30 Mar 2010 at 01:20AM, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> > 1) In what order are the changes printed?  If I saw:
> >
> >     +       /myfiles/rename_dir
> >     R       /myfiles/rename_dir -> /myfiles/rename_dir
> >
> > My analyzer would need to be smart enough to realize that the second
> > must have happened before the first, and that both paths need
> > evaluation.  Right?
>
> Between two snapshots only the later event would be found, surely.  (But
> I'm not the i-team.)

The example was slightly messed up, sorry; that caused misunderstanding.
I'm worried about this situation:

        snapshot at 1
        mv /myfiles/name1 /myfiles/name2
        mkdir /myfiles/name1
        snapshot at 2

So, I'm fairly sure that between the two snapshots both events are
relevant.  So the above might yield:

    +       /myfiles/name1
    R       /myfiles/name1 -> /myfiles/name2

It's tempting to read this as "name1 was created, then renamed to
name2." But that isn't what it means.  For a human, the following
version portrays the events much more clearly:

    R       /myfiles/name1 -> /myfiles/name2
    +       /myfiles/name1

I'm not sufficiently expert about all the pieces here to understand
whether it's possible to efficiently or even sensibly sort things into
a "human friendly" order.

        -dp

--
Daniel Price, Solaris Kernel Engineering    http://blogs.sun.com/dp