On 03/30/10 01:25 PM, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 12:42:00PM -0600, Tim Haley wrote:
>> On 03/30/10 12:29 PM, Dan Price wrote:
>>> The example was slightly messed up, sorry; that caused misunderstanding.
>>> I'm worried about this situation:
>>>
>>>          snapshot at 1
>>>          mv /myfiles/name1 /myfiles/name2
>>>          mkdir /myfiles/name1
>>>          snapshot at 2
>>>
>>> So, I'm fairly sure that between the two snapshots both events are
>>> relevant.  So the above might yield:
>>>
>>>      +       /myfiles/name1
>>>      R       /myfiles/name1 ->   /myfiles/name2
>
> Ah, sure.
>
>> Apologies for not responding sooner, I've been playing a bit with
>> the code.  Based on what I've been doing this morning, I believe it
>> will be possible to present the list in roughly chronological order.
>> The order originally was just by object number, so you could get
>> either of the outputs you show above.
>
> If you include the object number in the output then you can let the
> consumer figure it out.  Increasing zfs diff's footprint to get it to
> sort its output correctly will decrease its performance, and the
> consumer might not care.  (OTOH, a light-weight algorithm for properly
> sorting these output lines is fairly obvious, so maybe there's no reason
> to be concerned about performance.)
>
> Nico

It would be easy enough for me to print a 'time' column as the first
column, and the output could then be sent to 'sort -n'.  I'm not sure
how people feel about that.  Is that cheating?  :-)  The alternative is
to AVL sort by that time, which as you note will increase the footprint,
perhaps dramatically for a really big diff.

-tim