On 20/05/2010 21:45, Nicolas Williams wrote:
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 01:42:30PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
Nicolas Williams wrote:
In any case, customers that require strict SysV ABI compliance (e.g.,
customers that have apps that use LOGNAME_MAX and/or L_cuserid and who
cannot or will not re-build those apps) can always stick to creating
usernames with 8 or fewer bytes.

If that is to be a supported scenario, then all system provided account
names should remain within the 8 character limit.   Obviously they already
have to for any case requesting a patch binding for possible backport to
an older release, but ARC should decide whether cases that only deliver
after this change should be able to add system accounts with longer usernames
("postgresql" instead of "postgres" for instance).

Not necessarily.  We could have pkgs that will only work in a
non-standards-compliant installation.  Certainly in /contrib :)

But, yes, I agree.  This could be enforced by IPS or checked for by the
recently proposed IPS lint checker.  I suspect Darren will claim all of
that is "not this case".

Exactly not this case.

--
Darren J Moffat