Darren J Moffat wrote:
> On 21/05/2010 12:15, James Carlson wrote:
>>>
>>> No opinion is needed, this case alone is enough.
>>>

>> On this narrow point, I disagree, and agree instead with Don.  I can see
>> no way that changing a #define used in a standard interface is in any
>> way an "obvious" or "uncontroversial" change, and thus this easily falls
>> outside of the realm of a proper fast-track.
>
> Where is the reference to the standard being #define LOGNAME_MAX ?
>
> As far as I'm aware the standards based interface is for C code:
>
>     sysconf(_POSIX_LOGIN_NAME_MAX);
>     sysconf(LOGIN_NAME_MAX);
>
> and for shell code:
>
>     getconf _POSIX_LOGIN_NAME_MAX
>     getconf LOGIN_NAME_MAX

Don cited it earlier in the discussion.  There are two issues that I'm
(unfortunately) conflating a bit.  The first is that LOGNAME_MAX is a
compile-time constant documented in limits.h(3HEAD).  It is presumed to
be Committed.  Yes, applications writers are given "advice" to use the
dynamic values you're suggesting, but in no way are they _required_ to
do so.  Changing a Committed interface is a non-trivial and non-obvious
matter, even if we personally find the interface to be distasteful and
are able to cite superior alternatives.

The second is the standards group branding issue.  The value 9 is baked
into the UNIX98 and UNIX03 reference materials, so changing it (at least
inside those conforming environments) means either re-doing the branding
or ceasing to be "UNIX" in that sense.  Obviously not an architectural
issue, but something non-trivial that should be noted.

>> I have no problem with the change itself (even if it does perhaps burn
>> away UNIX branding), but I do think that at least a quick vote and a
>> short opinion stating that are necessary for the record.
>
> If a voting ARC member wants to derail the case to do that then that is
> their choice.  However I'm very strongly of the opinion that writing an
> ARC opinion here is pointless paperwork, it won't change anything and
> adds no value to what this fast-track already provides in the proposal.

I was hoping to convince you that, although there's nothing wrong with
the proposal, and that it's technically simple to accomplish, the nature
of it places it outside the bounds of a traditional fast-track, and that
allowing "mission creep" on fast-tracks is a bad thing overall for
OpenSolaris.

But I guess I failed at that.  Oh well.  Members?

--
James Carlson         42.703N 71.076W         <carls...@workingcode.com>