On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 05:07:54PM +0100, Darren J Moffat wrote:
> I don't see anywhere on limits.h(3HEAD) that says we won't change
> the value of LOGNAME_MAX it is the name that would be the Committed
> interface not the value of it.
>
> LOGNAME_MAX is listed in the "Other Invariant Values" section.  They
> way I understand this is that it won't vary between compile time and
> run time on this operating system, not that it won't ever change
> between releases.
>
> Code compiled on Solaris 10 or earlier or existing builds of
> OpenSolaris won't magically be broken they will behave the same way
> the always do. Code compiled on future releases/builds isn't
> guaranteed to work on older releases/builds anyway.

Customers who have old binaries that depend on LOGNAME_MAX being == 9
can simply restrict themselves to 8- byte usernames.  Those binaries
will have been observed to break long ago too, which means there must
not be very many such apps around.

Incidentally and FWIW, I don't agree that this case is not fasttrack
fodder.  And I agree that an opinion would do absolutely nothing.

Nico