On 05/21/10 04:18, Darren J Moffat wrote:
> On 20/05/2010 21:37, Don Cragun wrote:
>> I'm not disagreeing with the move to 32 bytes.  I just believe that the
>> ARC needs to make it clear that doing so is a conscious decision to break
>> the ABIs and that it does not set a precedent for other ABI breakage.  If
>> I remember correctly, an opinion needs to be written to do that even if
>> this is just a fast track case.
>
> No opinion is needed, this case alone is enough.

On this narrow point, I disagree, and agree instead with Don.  I can see
no way that changing a #define used in a standard interface is in any
way an "obvious" or "uncontroversial" change, and thus this easily falls
outside of the realm of a proper fast-track.

I have no problem with the change itself (even if it does perhaps burn
away UNIX branding), but I do think that at least a quick vote and a
short opinion stating that are necessary for the record.

--
James Carlson         42.703N 71.076W         <carls...@workingcode.com>