To my mind, its about time!

The question I have is 3rd party software.  Candidates that seem to be
likely to be used by ISVs:

        autopush
        fstyp
        install
        mknod
        mount
        rmt (this one may have implications for interop with BSD systems)
        tar
        uadmin
        volcopy

The remainder seem unlikely to be used by ISVs.

Looking at the above list:

        All of these seem like they should be obtained by $PATH.  The impact to
ISV software seems like it would mostly be exceptional cases, such as
stuff related to STREAMs modules, unusual kernel software, or stuff
ported from BSD.  I think we can probably live with the fall out.

One possible exception to that concern is rmt.  I worry that "/etc/rmt"
may be hard coded into software that would be using remote tape
facilities.  While I doubt there is much concern about SunOS 4.x and
earlier accessing rmt in this way (over rsh), I am not convinced that
there are no other places this is hard coded (such as in other tape
management systems.)

Has any investigative work been done to try to ensure that
removing /etc/rmt won't cause heartache to such subsystems?  Do all the
common tape management systems now in use either use something other
than rmt or at least don't use "/etc/rmt" hardcoded?

I'll give a +1 to the case for all these except rmt; I'll withhold the
overall +1 including rmt until I hear that at least some work to ensure
that the impact is not severe for rmt has been done.

        - Garrett