> Seeing yet another involvement of /etc/ symlinks brought by Darren leads
 > me to question the architectural value of the proposed changes.
 > I like cleanlyness.  I also like compatibility.  This seems architecturally
 > to me like change for changes sake.  Bigger tail fins on this years car.
 >
 > What is the compelling reason for making an incompatible change?
 >
 > -1

Though I'm not a voting member, I strongly agree.

This proposed change solves no architecural problem with the system that I
can find (the directory is aptly named "/etc", though our use of it has
become more refined with time).  However, it may well require customers to
retrain fingers and update scripts that have worked for decades.  If even
one customer is inconvenienced by these changes, I'd argue the cost has
already exceeded the benefit.  Yes, we can break things, but that doesn't
mean we should do so frivolously.

--
meem