On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 09:44:31AM -0700, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> I think removing things that users are likely to type is better.  We
> want to discourage /etc from showing up in $PATH, so from my point of
> view this is supportive of that.

Making sure that there are no executable things in /etc that aren't also
in a common bin directory is obvious, and simple enough.

Removing executable things from /etc is OK IFF we're confident that they
aren't hardcoded and that nothing depends on having /etc in PATH to find
them.  For some things we know that we can't remove them (e.g., rmt).

> I also think the opportunity to do this is *now*, while we've made a
> large number of other incompatible changes to the system -- before it
> stabilizes again. (I.e. this pseudo-minor/major release cycle for
> Solaris Next.)

Right.

> That said, I think /etc/rmt has to stay.  I see no large and compelling
> reason the others need to stay, but I also confess the benefits of
> removing the links are a bit small.
>
> Edit the case to exclude /etc/rmt, and I'll +1.  If someone else feels
> that the change is risky enough to derail it after that, then they are
> welcome to do so (provided they are a member.)

Non-member +1