On Jul 18, 2005, at 6:07 PM, UNIX admin wrote:

Am I the only one that doesn't like the
--something-or-other options
of GNU related software? Please don't do this to
Solaris!

No, you're not the only one. --options are completely uneccessary and serve no purpose.

I sincerely hope such perversions will not be done to Solaris and OpenSolaris.

If I'm completely mistaken, the --options were conceived at a time when the GNU system was thought at some point to be able to mimic the function of the CMD JSYS of TOPS-20. In that context I think the long options made sense. That never really materialised except that some shells try to do it themselves (like PCL did on TOPS-20 I guess) rather than being integrated in the commands.

Krister