On 7/21/05, Alvaro Lopez Ortega <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > I'm not sure I would have phrased it in those words (after all, part
>  > of a being in a community means being tactful and polite), but
>  > debian encompasses a lot of architectural policy that sfw/csw don't.
>  > To be fair, one of the reasons that they don't is that they are
>  > piggybacking on top of the already-defined architecture from
>  > Solaris.  Since it already exists, SunFreeware and Blastwave didn't
>  > need to reinvent those particular wheels :-)
>  >
>  > Debian has done good things with setting up and maintaining a
>  > distinction between runtime -vs- compile time module/component
>  > configuration mechanisms, installation locations, etc.
>  >
> [..]
>  >
>  > IMHO, it is the systems level thought and integration that makes
>  > Debian more than simply a collection of pre-built packages.
>  > Obviously, I have been quite impressed by the thought and effort
>  > that has gone into the Debian system, and agree with David that
>  > OpenSolaris could benifit from it.
>
>    Yeah, that exactly what I mean.  Debian will bring a huge set of
>    quality software greatly integrated to OpenSolaris.
>
>    As I said, Blastwave isn't even similar to this approach.  It has
>    lot of problems: libraries duplication, zero system integration,
>    etc.
>
>    Debian is a well integrated systems, without duplication of
>    software, with a great packaging system, 100% free, with loads of
>    ready to use software, hundreds and hundreds of active developers,
>    dozens of derived distributions, government implantation, etc.. It
>    makes Blastwave look like a simply work around.
>
>    I hope OpenSolaris will work to create this new Debian architecture.
>    I'm sure, OpenSolaris users will love it. :-)

Well, there are a few problems I see with this. First of all, there's
been some question on Debian legal on whether or not the CDDL meets
the Debian Free Software Guidelines, if it doesn't, then it's very
likely they will have no interest in working with us or taking back
our necessary changes to keep those packages working. Secondly, I
think this would be better off as it's own project since there are
many things under an "OpenSolaris" distribution that people would want
to package that don't fit in with Debian's strict guidelines.

While using the work they've already done or starting a new project
based off their existing repository sounds ok, trying to actually work
with Debian to create an "OpenSolaris" distribution seems a lost
battle at best.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/