Eric Boutilier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Roy> Solaris cannot be placed in a position where it determines the contents
> > Roy> of OpenSolaris.  That is a dead-end exercise of tossing code over the
> > Roy> wall whenever Sun sees fit, which is the antithesis of what we are
> > Roy> trying to do with the OpenSolaris communities.
> >
> > I have two problems (or potential problems) with your assertions...
>
> Funny thing is (and the crux of this misunderstanding):  there isn't
> any such thing as "OpenSolaris" per se in the context in which Roy used
> above. There is Nevada -- which is Sun's "distro" -- and there is
> SchilliX -- which is the SchilliX team's "distro".

OpenSolaris is opensolaris-src-20050720.tar.bz2 and in Sparc/x86, you may
like to add e.g.  opensolaris-closed-bins-20050720.i386.tar.bz2

OpenSolaris is not a complete enough OS. You cannot boot it, you cannot compile
software on it and you cannot run applications on it.

If you look for a complete enough OS, the current choises are SchilliX and
Solaris Express.

> So in anticipation of an official OpenSolaris distro being created (in
> that oh-so-notorious not-too-distant-future), Roy's statement from above:
>
>     "Solaris cannot be placed in a position where it determines
>     the contents of OpenSolaris"
>
> Gets a big +1 from me in advance! ;-)

Any way Sun goes with Solaris Express that cannot be pusued by e.g. SchilliX
is a dead end.

Any discussion where people try to enforce a way that is not possible
with freely distributable systems is a useless discussion. If we like to
find solutions for OpenSolaris problems, we need to go the OpenSolaris way.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/