Hi at all,

I'm really impressed by the discussion about ksh. But I dont get the point.

Some basic logic says to me that something that's not available does not exist.
So if there is no source for ksh88 it's not a good point to talk about it in an
environment that talks about open source. It's a discussion about an "unix
shell" - nothing that's really unique.

I've seen notes about ARC and so on. Does it matter about something that does
not exist? ARC is interesting for something that does not exist - but usually
not for ancient or outdated technology. And something that did not find the way
to open source is (in this special case) a thing that will be obsoleted by
history - since obviously it was not important enough to become open sourced.
Just count the users of unix shells and you will see that eg. bash has more
users than ksh88. A good point is where people make more money. But I want to
see it first.

It's btw my impression that (Open)Solaris-people talk a lot about stability and
do forget to do a step forward. Solaris is not the best piece of technology if
I need a compressing file system: Linux ist better at that point. I have the
choice out of at least 5 there. On Solaris I even did not find a way to mount a
ext2fs partition... (well using nfs and mount it on another machine was no
problem.)
Did anyone try a Kanotix and found it's usefulness in a real world? I have the
wish that this kind of usefulness will be possible with OpenSolaris too.
OpenSolaris is young (or better new to "open source") and only a base system -
there is no need to block future with discussions about things like "unix
shells". ksh is really only an example - but this kind of "problem" has a
structure.

-Helmar