On Jul 28, 2005, at 1:34 PM, Darren J Moffat wrote:
On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 18:08, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
Alternatively, OpenSolaris could give development autonomy to the
communities, wherein technical development, discussion of alternatives,
getting it to work, and testing can all take place independent of
any ARC review.  ARC review isn't needed until the community wishes
to apply the completed work to a stable release branch, at which
point the community product does need to adhere to the particular
interface requirements for that branch. [They are, of course, aware
of those requirements during the whole process, and thus will have
designed and developed for a particular set of branches.]

Which is exactly how things had been working in practise inside Sun.

That's what I thought originally, but a lot of the posts I have seen
are emphasizing the business decisions made by an ARC rather than
the technical review.

The only real difference with OpenSolaris ARCs should be that there
is always a branch that has no interface constraints because that is
the branch where new interfaces are created.

The one thing I would point out is that the ARCs encourage: "come early
and come often".  The reason for the come early is so that the ARC can
help spread the word about your project.  For example the SMF team came
to the ARC very early during their project this allowed the ARC to tell
all the other projects to expect to integrate with SMF by the time
everyone was due to finish their projects, not just projects targeting
Solaris directly but also unbundled things.

The ARC isn't just there to "beat you up" about interfaces and
architecture, they are also there to help spread the word to the rest of
the engineering communities about your cool new stuff.

The ARC has been a keep part of our collaboration efforts inside Sun and
we know it will need to adapt itself or become something new for
OpenSolaris and all the other open source projects that Sun is doing,
for example the open sourcing of the JES Application Server (a team that
is very engaged in the ARC process).

BTW, could someone please describe how many ARCs currently exist
over the scope of Solaris?

....Roy