On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 14:38, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> That's what I thought originally, but a lot of the posts I have seen
> are emphasizing the business decisions made by an ARC rather than
> the technical review.

ARC is all about the technical architecture and almost always doesn't
get involved in business processes - we take it into account but it
isn't our charter to make decisions based on business input alone our
key is the technical architecture of the "system" as a whole.

> The only real difference with OpenSolaris ARCs should be that there
> is always a branch that has no interface constraints because that is
> the branch where new interfaces are created.

Thats not really an ARC issue thats a project team issue, each project
team creates there own gate (branch I guess in your terminology),
sometimes project teams need to sync between each others gates (for
example during Solaris 10 development the main on10 gate was moving
forward but there was cross gate syncing between the project gates for
DTrace, Zones and the Cryptographic Framework and SMF).

However everything in the main gate (eg ONNV) is reviewed and release
quality at all times - this is what you see in Solaris Express today.
Of course with OpenSolaris this could be up for review so it is just
what we do today, that we believe should be able to work for the greater
Internet connected developer community in the future.

> BTW, could someone please describe how many ARCs currently exist
> over the scope of Solaris?

One.  There is only one ARC, there are sub committees of the ARC and
when Sun people write ARCs they mean these sub committees.  Currently we
have:  FWARC, PSARC, LSARC, WSARC:

FWARC - Firmware
PSARC - Platform Services
LSARC - Layered Software
WSARC - Web Services.

For the most part WSARC doesn't review stuff you see today in
OpenSolaris but is mostly about the stuff in JES - but then Application
Server and parts of Access Manager are open source under the CDDL
license too.

PSARC is where almost all of the currently visible bits of OpenSolaris
are reviewed, ie mainly core OS and networking things.

LSARC is where most of GNOME/StarOffice/Mozilla level things are
reviewed.

SNARC is currently in hibernation, but has been used to review hardware
platform stuff particularly systems as a whole and networking hardware:
mostly not relevant for OpenSolaris even if it was currently active.

However we often have members from the various sub committees cross over
to assist in the review of other projects - some times for no other
reason than personal interest.

--
Darren J Moffat