Roy T. Fielding wrote:

On Jul 29, 2005, at 12:26 AM, Robert Milkowski wrote:

RTF> I am telling you, point blank, based on both my experience within
RTF> the open source community and my research background in software
RTF> architecture, that OpenSolaris will fail to achieve the goals set
RTF> by Sun executives if you refuse to allow community members to
RTF> develop new projects within the community on unstable branches.
RTF> Furthermore, you CAN retain all of the compatibility conditions
RTF> that you require and *still* give freedom to the community, but
RTF> only if you let the community development proceed on branches
RTF> (fork within itself) instead of chasing those developers off
RTF> to other communities.

My impression is that it's going to be allowed to make your own branch
which is a fork of main gate. Then you can do whatever you want and
with procedures you feel are necessary - it's all up to you.

Technically, you can do it right now - it's just that current
infrastructure (lack of it) doesn't make it easy - but you can
download sources and put there ksh93 or whatever you want.

Now if you want your work to be merged with main Open Solaris gate,
then you have to follow specific rules.

By coincidence, I finally figured out what the disconnect is this
morning, somewhere between sleeping and waking up.  It is inherent
in the way that teamware works that almost all work is done in
external forks, outside the view of most of the community, and
that work only becomes part of OpenSolaris gate after it is done.

(one of these days I'll remember to use reply-all!)

Not always outside the view.

Teamware works within an process defined by the team. The last couple of projects I have managed used Teamware along with a strict continuous integration policy. Once a change passed all its tests, it was putback into the main workspace (branch) so other pairs could bring it over. This happened many times a day.

All workspaces were public, so if one pair required early access to another work, they had it.

I agree that maintaining visibility on a distributed effort will be a challenge, without decent unit tests continuous integration will be difficult. There must be some way of balancing visibility with integrity.

Ian