Brian Cameron wrote:
I think it is just a matter of time before we find a necessary
component that isn't in OpenSolaris that we can't include for
licensing reasons, and something nobody is interested in rewriting.
When that time comes, it will be necessary to more look at SunOS6
as a solution.

I guess I'm looking at this differently.  It seems to make more sense
to say that all components that are placed into OpenSolaris must follow
minor release changes.  However, new components to replace ones that
Sun cannot put into OpenSolaris could be ABI incompatible.  Why does
it have to be a big deal if Sun rips out those pieces and replaces
them with our favorite ABI compatible versions when we build/ship
Solaris?

My guess is that people will start using OpenSolaris and find that
they like the new features (like ksh93 instead of ksh88) and that
customers will push us to make a SunOS6 release because they will
want a more modern operating system.

The rules we've set up in Solaris allow us to do a large amount,
even incompatible change, without going to a new major release.

It would probably have to be something as fundamental as libc changing
incompatibility and not offering an old version to force SunOS 6.

For ksh, we could under the current rules do a variety of things:

 - Add ksh93 as /usr/bin/ksh93 - simple, easy, no problems, and leave
   both ksh88 and ksh93 in Solaris, with only ksh93 in OpenSolaris.

 - Announce at least a year before the next minor release that we
   are ending support for ksh88 scripts and make ksh93 replace ksh
   in that minor release.   (Probably want to include ksh93 in a
   prior update release first so customers can test their scripts.)

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           [EMAIL PROTECTED]