I've been playing with OpenPKG for a while.

What I don't like about it:
- RPMs are of no use if you want to customize the build (all rpms install in
/openpkg/*)
- It lives in a self-contained area
> I'm sure this is necessary in multi-OS environment because everyone have
their own directory standards. Now to get anything working I have to install
all depencies into the /openpkg dir. The main strength in OpenPKG as I see
it is the multi-OS platform independancy. If you won't have such an
environment, it's no option. So I thought about using the .src.rpm, to
customize. But these also have build dependencies, which makes it more
complicated. Theres of course OS specifics in the specs, like if <os> then
do ... Also the %install part is really messed up unless you want to follow
their standard.

- It misses specific things for Solaris 10.
> It isn't SMF-ready for one thing. I really the services SMF controlled, so
editing the spec files is a must.

I've checked out JDS common build environment, looks like it's basically all
the tools I already have from SMC + pkg-tools. I will look closer later.

For the most part it really comes to missing ability to customize
installation, removing unnecessary files (man, docs etc), just to have a
clean package, as in the MySQL package I'm building I want to separate
client/server/bench/test-tools etc, this is done in RPM spec by using build
sub sections. Don't think this is supported in pkg-tools.

Solution for now:
- Get the spec-files from Linux, customize them for Solaris 10 (configure,
SMF, Sun Compiler etc etc), then run pkgtools on it to create SVR4 packages.

I'm still missing a Package Management tool like pkg-get, apt-get, yum,
smart, smpatch.. I tried getting apt4rpm working on Sol10, but unfortunately
it doesn't build properly on my Solaris 10 x86, complains about rpm-header
errors in OpenPKG (probably because they are somehow modified for OpenPKG).
If anyone got it working, please help.

What I would like is a repository of RPM spec files for Solaris 10 and
pkg-build.

/Magnus