We plan to push development for the Solaris Companion out into the community,
to serve as a test case for community development for other areas of Solaris.
The Companion is the supplemental collection of open source software
distributed with Solaris.

The source code repository, the gate, will be external as will the gatekeeper,
the person who manages the source base and does the builds.

Why the Companion?

   1. It's the simplest case we have.   It's all open source.  It's
supplemental to Solaris and consequently not subject to reviews by internal
architecture committees,  a rigid bi-weekly delivery schedule, or complex
dependencies.  We can get it out quickly.  As yet, no release date has been
established.

  2. Building development communities

        Several external communities already exist around open source for
Solaris.  Some discussions on opensolaris.org have suggested that these
communities work more closely together.  We hope the release of the Companion
source base will encourage this cooperation.

   3. Initial Structure

         Solaris management has asked Steve Christensen to be the gate keeper.
Steve has maintained the sunfreeware.com site for many years. The source base
will be the Companion contents for Solaris 10 minus those packages that are now
included in Solaris 11 or those packages considered no longer important.
Requests for upgrading existing packages and/or adding new packages will
reviewed by a team of Sun engineers. Interested external people will be invited
to join this team. The goal is equal representation.  The review team will
follow all applicable Open Solaris processes.   Many implementation details
remain to be determined.

marilyn
-------
Marilyn Shoemaker