Glynn -

It may be a little early to create a community, but not too early to
start defining the problems we need to solve and what a community
might do.  What I would like to see immediately here is a good summary
of

1. What are our packaging goals?
2. What systems are available and what are the pros and cons of each?

Some of my concerns are

1. having a system that is relatively easy to learn so that developers
will not be put off by it.  Some systems may be very powerful, but
hard
to learn.  I favor simplicity whenever possible so that new users will
not be too confused.

2. for creation of a package, having a system that handles
dependencies, pre and post install issues, etc. in a logical way - if
logic can even be applied!

3. having a system that provides flexible installation.  For example,
some users will want to run a command  that will install the package
and every dependency automatically.  Others will want a command that
just installs just one or a few packages, but not others perhaps.
Finally, many users want to just download individual packages and
install them after they can understand what each is going to do to
their systems.

There are probably hundreds of other things to worry about.  I would
love to have a fairly detailed summary of your methods for your
current software in GNOME/JDS and maybe an example or two of how you
might add a new software package.  For instance, there are programs
like say nessus or nedit (that I don't think are packaged at Sun) that
use GTK+ 2.  How might such a progam be built and packaged using what
you do now?

People who use other methods can provide similar examples.  I think
the more examples we have, the easier it will be for us to at least
experiment, if not select one to use at this point.

Just an idea.

Steve C.