--- Alan DuBoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 August 2005 02:37 am, Joerg
> Schilling wrote:
> > I should note that things in the OSS community do
> not start by talking
> > about them but by doing something. Why is there no
> place to look at the
> > whole source tree that is used by Sun to create
> /opt/sfw packages? People
> > don't like to buy a cat in a bag, they like to see
> whether it makes sense
> > to work on the current /opt/sfw build system or
> whether it makes more sense
> > to start from scratch or with a new idea like
> Blastwave.
>
> The source packages have always been available for
> the Companion CD, just that
> they grew so large that they were not included on
> the CD, AFAIK. You can
> download them from
> http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/freeware/ at
> your
> convenience.
>
> The community was not asked to buy a cat in the bag,
> nor was the community
> asked to sound like a cat in heat.;-)
>
> --
>
> Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
> Solaris x86 Engineering

Alan & Others,

Yes, the sources are available for the Companion CD
as posted on the website and can be put on a DVD as
well for those that would like to rebuild the code.
Yet, I think historically a few things were missing -
the notes on how to properly rebuild the source and
the compiler (which is now free to OpenSolaris
members). Also, a way to submit/commit an upgraded
package to Sun if you volunteered your services.

Also, what about a Year 2005 experience of getting not
only the original source but the fully patched and
modified source that can be downloaded and rebuilt
with just a simple './configure' instead of having to
search and add several patches (this is not only in
open source but in commercial products). Well, we can
ponder over this one.

Isn't there a support forum for the Companion CD?

~Ken Mays @ EarthLink, Inc.