On 9/4/05, James Dickens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 9/3/05, Felix Schulte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Has anyone at Sun yet thought about porting ReiserFS to OpenSolaris?
> > Not for booting but having a way to share partitions on dual-boot
> > systems, USB sticks or mobile disks.
> > --
> i would be against it, because even in linux its not known as a stable
> Filesystem, moving it to solaris would do little to improve things, we
> can intergrate ext2 or at least polish it up a bit.
The old ext2 module for Solaris no longer works for ext file systems
created by Redhat and Suse kernels so forget that idea. Neither can
Solaris ext2 read them nor can the Linux mke2fs be downgraded to
create one readable by Solaris.

> Or  port xfs or
> jfs to Solaris if we really want another FS that can be shared between
> Solaris and Linux,
Both xfs and jfs are - like ufs - at the end of their development
line, ReiserFS isn't. And ReiserFS is becoming more and more the de
facto standard on Linux.

> and i really don't see the point, computers are
> getting so cheap just setup a seperate box to be used as a fileserver.
What about sharing disks or USB sticks between computers? And a file
server only works if the computers are connected and in some cases
direct connections may be explicitly forbidden (e.g. intranet).
--
      _        Felix Schulte
    _|_|_     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]