On Sunday 04 September 2005 01:35 pm, Ben Rockwood wrote:
> The thread got off topic, the only real point I cared to make was that
> if ReiserFS was made avalible for OpenSolaris it would be pretty kool,
> reguardless of any opinions on the project of the filesystem itself.
> The more the merrier.

It probably would be nice to have ability to read ReiserFS, although I cringe
at the folks that use it.

I'm not sure I have a lot to compare, but when I met Hans and talked with him,
my first impression was that he was still having flashbacks from the 60s. It
left me with the question of wether I would trust my data to someone that
couldn't seem to remember what had happened several weeks ago, and more
importantly specifics about some of the code. Hans doesn't work on it anymore
and it seems to be done mostly in Russia, if I'm not mistaken.

In contrast, Ted Tso (author of ext3, who I worked with at VA Linux Systems)
could speak intelligently about ext3, and seems more creditable than Hans. I
rather like the fact that ext3 can exist on top of ext2, not a bad decision,
IMO.

Lastly I compare Jeff Bonwick to both of them, and Jeff is in a completely
different space than either of the previous mentioned, and it makes me glad
that Jeff took on ZFS, because I feel that data integrity is one of the most
important aspects of computing. Jeff is truely doing something that is a
magnitude above the other solutions.

I would never run any of my systems on ReiserFS, but it *IS* popular and could
be useful to have support, even if READ_ONLY. ext2 falls in this camp also,
as does ext3 which sits on top. We must exists with other filesystems.

I have always felt it is partially Sun's job to educate folks, and to teach
them why Solaris is the way it is, and why it is better. Traditionally,
Solaris would not allow some willy-nilly project such as ReiserFS to exist,
but Hans was able to push that upon the Linux communities and gather grant
money to work on it, because nothing else existed.

To date the best solution to using various data formats is NFS, and Solaris
seems to have the best implimentation of it, IMO (no surprise, it's Sun's
technology;-). It does require the native host to run though, so can only be
used in a network environment. Quite honestly, I feel safest using ReiserFS
or ext3 through NFS, since that way I don't have to run any of that stuff
native on Solaris.;-) There is a side of me that dreads the thought of having
either ReiserFS or ext2/3 running natively on Solaris, because I just don't
think they meet the quality standard that Solaris has been able to set to
date.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering