On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 09:32:54AM +1000, Alan Hargreaves - Product Technical
Support (APAC) wrote:
> Shawn Walker wrote:
>
> >FSF's comments about CDDL:
> >"This is a free software license which is not a strong copyleft; it
> >has some complex restrictions that make it incompatible with the GNU
> >GPL. That is, a module covered by the GPL and a module covered by the
> >CDDL cannot legally be linked together. We urge you not to use the
> >CDDL for this reason. Also unfortunate in the CDDL is its use of the
> >term "intellectual property"."
>
> I see this quoted a lot, and the part about "cannot legally be linked
> together" is utter crap.
>
> That being said, if you *do* link them together then you are prevented
> from distributing because you cannot satify the conditoins of both licenses.
>
> There is nothing in either license preventing you from linking GPL code
> and CDDL code on your own systems if you have no intention of
> distributing it.
>
> Richard, as it seems that you are reading this list, is there any chance
> of getting that FAQ answer clarified?

Notice that the main point is in creating derivative works, or whatever those
are called, and the linking case is only one example of common ways to create
a derivative work, but depending on the case, just linking two pieces of code
together can make them become derivative works of one another or not. What is
linking anyway, nothing but juxtaposition of some bits with some added logic
to transfer the control flow between the one and the other.

Friendly,

Sven Luther