>> Define "ship as part of the OS"; gcc and other GPL'ed stuff ships on the
>> same DVD as Solaris.
>
>This is illegal, they used to be shipped on a separate CD back then for this
>exact reason, but hey, it was over 10 years ago i got involved in this kind of
>thing. Check with your lawyers and historical personal involved in this.

I was not aware that that was the reason; the exact reason as I understood
at the time was that:

        a) There wasn't room very everything on the CDs so some
           functional grouping was done.
        b) The "Companion CD" contained software which wasn't supported in
           any way.
        c) They were shipped in the same box anyway.

>The exact wording is :
>
>  However, as a
>  special exception, the source code distributed need not include
>  anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
>  form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
>  operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component
>  itself accompanies the executable.
>
>So, i guess it is up to interpretation of "accompanies the executable", but
>having it on the same DVD certainly can be interpreted as "accompanies the
>executable".

Well, here's the full paragraph:

        The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work
        for making modifications to it.  For an executable work,
        complete source code means all the source code for all modules
        it contains, plus any associated interface definition files,
        plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation
        of the executable.  However, as a special exception, the source
        code distributed need not include anything that is normally
        distributed (in either source or binary form) with the major
        components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating
        system on which the executable runs, unless that component
        itself accompanies the executable.

So, the exception excludes parts of the list in the sentence before;
it does not *add* things like "compiler, kernel, and so on".

Casper