CCing gnu-sol, as this is where we should migrate those discussions,

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 10:12:08PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure why the choice of venue is such a big issue: someone will
> > chose the venue and whether you do it at the time of writing the
> > license or at a later point in time is irrelevant.
> >
> > It's a fix to the MPL which always uses Santa Clara (I think) which is
> > rather awkward if the dispute is between two Europeans.
> >
> > >In any case, the choice-of-law is more important and can be set without
> > >problems in the licence.
> >
> > The CDDL is meant to be reusable; fixing the law to be in the US
> > would be counter productive.
>
> As a note: It was me who requested this feature. If it was not in the CDDL,
> the CDDL would not be usable for individuals like me.

Would you care to explain in detail what you wanted to obtain by this ? Do you
have any particular use case where you expect to make use of this, or is just
over-cautious paranoia ?

> If there are people at Debian who dislike it, they abviously don't understand
> the problems of individuals who write open source software :-(

Well, as said, the debian infrastructure, mirrors or sub-distributions and
even end-user may be the target of malicious legal charges which we cannot and
have not the ressources to fight appropriately, and if you consider judicial
systems like the US ones, where mega-corporations sue teenagers, and the one
with the most money to pay on lawyers usually is the one on the winning side
of any case, there is indeed some risk involved, which goes beyond your own
problematic.

> Requiring the license to be written in a way that it favors those who break
> the license and in a way that discriminates those who write the software
> looks more than strange.

Bah, you are making moral judgements depending on your own smallish vision of
the thing, but are you sure it covers all cases ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther