S Destika wrote:
You'd better backup your statements with figures.

I already referred to SPEC benchmarks. If you will only believe in what Sun
says, check this
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4240498 - it is open
since ages and talks about Fork being 2-6 times faster on Linux. (Yeah and they
must have done the tests on similar hardware, I am sure.) So don't go asking
proofs and numbers for things which are well known.

I'd bet people here talking about Linux+Opteron vs
_Solaris_+Opteron
and not Solaris+SPARC as you apparently think. It
makes sense to compare
different OSes on the _same_ hardware, right ?

Many have done what you said. There is no need to repeat a single test unless the existing
performance bugs against Linux in the opensolaris.org bug db are fixed
(http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/search.do?process=1&category=&bugStatus=&keyword=linux+slow&type=)
 . Saying Fork, Exec, Thread creation, IPC, file operations are slower than Linux is sufficient
to say that overall Solaris is slower than Linux.

BIG POINT though -

I repeat - I don't have a problem with Solaris performance figures - I live
with them as I often benefit from the extreme high end scalability and
reliability. Many do.

And please, please, please keep your lines under 80 chars.

I post from the Opensolaris.org website - it doesn't allow me to do what you
are requesting. Either let me know a way to do it (not counting characters) or
request the website admin to fix the software that runs this mailing list.

Could we move this discussion to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

- Bart

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://blogs.sun.com/barts