On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 15:01, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> But I'm certain our best practices now are something like:
>
>       /
>       /var    - for servers only
>       /export - separate the users/data from the rest.

I'd agree with that completely.  In fact I'd actually say that
on general purpose servers even having /var separate isn't useful.

On a Kerberos KDC I've have /var/krb5 seperate but the rest of
/var just part of /, similarly on a mail server using /var/mail
that would be separate etc etc.

I also tend to have /var/core and /var/crash separate as well
but thats because I don't actually want live upgrade to copy
the core and crash files over to the new boot environment, because
they aren't relevant.  Sometimes I just use dumpadm and coreadm
to send them to a filesystem shared between all BEs.

--
Darren J Moffat