[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>       - you run out of space more quickly because you dividing line
>         will not be correct
>       - hard recoverability issues become impossible with net/cdrom boot
>       - the gain in stability is fairly minimal (a read-only /usr mount
>         mostly increases maintenance costs.

There's also the "path of least resistance" issue.  The default
installs don't include a separate /usr, which means that fewer people
do this, and subtle bugs related to it are less likely to be caught.

(I'm certainly not saying that our software isn't well-tested.  Just
that there's no good substitute for having large numbers of people
using the system that way.)

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>