>> The GNU utilities carry both a stability and compatibility
>> risk.  Nothing in Solaris proper can fix that.
>
>This statement true for any software in general, unless development is
>pretty much dead. :-)

Perhaps I should have quantified that: ".... when used as default
in a Solaris environment.".

The GNU utilities are not compatible with their Solaris equavalents
and in some cases violate standards, best practices or have bugs
which their authors refuse to fix.

>Solaris 8,9,10,11 are different, and therefore "carry" the same risk for
>end user's apps.

No, they do not, certainly not to the same extend as OpenSolaris + GNU
utilities does when compared to standard Solaris.

>Talking about Nexenta and Others: once distro reaches major release, i
>will be stabilized(i.e. no major changes) and supported for a longer
>periods of time.
>
>And in fact, GNU utilities rock stable and pretty compatible across the
>versions and platforms. So, I woudn't buy your statement..

Except for GNU find and GNU tar which are buggy and are known to be
buggy to the point that we can only assume that their maintainers have
no interest in fixing them.

Casper