On Wednesday 30 November 2005 05:41 am, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> The reason why I still have objections against this idea is that
> you may like to create a PATH that includes less binaries and thus seems to
> me less dabgerous for administrators.

This type of situation is an exception, for distribution for instance.

As a user I don't want more than one tar. I want one tar that works for me.
And guess what? Yep, I want it named tar, not gtar, futar, star, etc...the
command is tar and I would expect it to be in the core filesystem in most all
cases (exceptions permitting).

The question is how we get from where we are with multiples, to a point that
we have an open version that is the most current, being worked on, in
Solaris/OpenSolaris? That should be the goal of the community for all
software in Solaris/OpenSolaris. Every piece of software should have the goal
of being worked on as a community (i.e., both Sun and non-Sun folks), but
that's not true at this time and will need time to workout.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering