As far as the software is concerned, there is no difference
between a Type 6 USB & Type 7 keyboards - all the keycodes
and layouts are the same - with the one exception of the
Japanese keyboard.   Recent Solaris Express releases have
included the changes for those - you can see some of the
bug ids in the X ChangeLogs for recent builds:

http://opensolaris.org/os/community/x_win/changelogs/changelogs-nv_20/

Build 24:
6311410 Keymap tables for Japanese type7 keyboard should be added

Build 28:
6338085 Japanese type6 keytable should have layout number 271
6348263 Need to add Type 7 to Xorg keyboard description lists

Those are being backported to earlier Solaris releases as well.

No desktop environment should need any changes for these
keyboards, or even know they exist.   (GNOME gets this wrong
a lot, and I'd be much happier if libxklavier was completely
removed from GNOME, but that's a sad story for another forum.)

        -Alan Coopersmith-           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

ken mays wrote:
As a part of ref: http://www.sun.com/desktop/index.jsp?tab=3
http://www.sun.com/desktop/docs/Type7Reference.pdf

The docs help in testing and mapping for the Type 7
keyboard and scroll feature of the Type 7 mouse for
GNOME and other desktop environment integrations
available in XKB.

I'd like to know if Sun already has some files or
patches for the keyboard and mouse for JDS/GNOME
integration like they do for the older keyboards.
Ken Mays

--- Alan Coopersmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Xsun has XKB, it's just off by default.   To change
Xsun on x86 keyboard
layout, run kdmconfig (as root) and choose a new
layout.

Xorg does use XKB by default, and should work fine
with setxkbmap (though
we haven't bundled it yet, we should one of these
days).

-Alan Coopersmith- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         Sun Microsystems, Inc. - X Window System
Engineering

Herr S. Sarholz wrote:

Hi

I installed OpenSolaris build 27 on an IBM laptop

a few days ago.

As installation keyboard layout I choose "us".

Is there an ease way to change the layout to "de"

when running X and to
switch between layouts?
(I tryed to change the setting in the Java Desktop

Menu with no effect)

On Linux I use setxkbmap. I even can log into a

Linux box with ssh and
use setxkbmap to change the keyboard layout.
I also could write a xmodmap file and use xmodmap

to switch between
layouts, but is there an easyer way?

I had the same problem on a SunBlade workstation.

But since the Sun X
server has no XKB extension setxkbmap didnot work,

and I wrote xmodmap
files.

Regards
Samuel