I guess that Sun should address this - it should be clearly stated in
a FAQ (for developers) what to do in such cases (not just - consult
your lawyer). Is it permitted or not? What about GPL, BSD, ...?

I think it's totally reasonable to put out some guidelines about issues related to GPL drivers in OpenSolaris. It shouldn't be an official blessing for all porting projects, not legal advise, but it is a frequently asked question and there is a lot of misinformation out there. An answer that outlines the possible risks associated with bringing GPL drivers to non-GPL domain would at least give developers an idea what they are dealing with. Otherwise developers will receive "legal advise" from their peers on some other forum and make misinformed decisions - saying it's their problem is leaving them out in the cold.

-Artem.