Darren J Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > The real problem that I see is that people may call OpenSolaris a GPL
> > violating project even though there is no reason that would stand a
> > case on court.
>
> Can we have
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] please?

Feel free to create the mailing list....
But note that unless there is some kind of how to for this topic, the question
will come up at least 3-4 times a year.

> BTW the "viral" part of the GPL is in the CDDL as well, the main
> difference as I understand it is that for GPL it is "project" level but
> in the CDDL it is "source file" level which make the CDDL "better" for
> mixing with non CDDL code.

The difference between GPL and CDDL is that the CDDL is not viral against
code in other files.

Maybe I should write my conclusions on that topic:

-       Anybody may use GPLd code together with any kind of code as long
        as the code is not published.

-       I see no reason why the GPL would prevent to pubish a GPLd driver
        together with a CDDLd kernel coming from Europe.

-       I am not sure about the same fact in case the CDDLd kernel is from
        the USA.

-       I would not recommend to publish GPLd drivers together with OpenSolaris
        as long as there has no discussion with the related people.

-       I would love to see a FAQ on this topic from Sun's lawjers.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)