Dennis Clarke wrote:
Was there a document at some point in history ( this is UNIX and it
has tons of history ) called the FSSTD or was it FHS ?

    http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
    ( this may be a Linux animal however )

That's the Linux Standards Base filesystem layout, and should be
violently ignored by Solaris.

In any case we seem to have a few guidelines that no one breaks.  The
X11 kit is always dropped into /usr/X11R6 correctly.  Why not into
/usr/sfw/X11R6 ? Or perhaps /usr/openwin/X11R6 ?

Umm, only in Solaris 10 does Solaris finally have /usr/X11 & /usr/X11R6.
Most of X is still in /usr/openwin, completely annoying to everyone who
builds portable software or works with X on other systems.   That's
probably the biggest example of where Solaris has always broken the
guidelines that other systems follow.

    (1) Is there a UNIX standard ?  ( this is just yes or no )
    (2) What is the UNIX standard?
    (3) Do we respect that standard ?  ( Is this a yes or no ? )

The UNIX(tm) standard is defined by The Open Group.   See
        http://www.unix.org/

UNIX 03 is the current version which Solaris 10 and later conform to.

Solaris filesystem locations have also traditionally conformed to the
SVID standard (originally from AT&T to define what SVR4 was), but I
don't know if we've kept up to date on that.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           [EMAIL PROTECTED]