On 3/21/06, Alan Coopersmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dennis Clarke wrote:
> > Was there a document at some point in history ( this is UNIX and it
> > has tons of history ) called the FSSTD or was it FHS ?
> >
> >     http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
> >     ( this may be a Linux animal however )
>
> That's the Linux Standards Base filesystem layout, and should be
> violently ignored by Solaris.

 ha ha .. yes .. .. "violently ignored" seems to be a good way to
express the feeling.

> > In any case we seem to have a few guidelines that no one breaks.  The
> > X11 kit is always dropped into /usr/X11R6 correctly.  Why not into
> > /usr/sfw/X11R6 ? Or perhaps /usr/openwin/X11R6 ?
>
> Umm, only in Solaris 10 does Solaris finally have /usr/X11 & /usr/X11R6.

  Now this is something that I am quite aware of and thankful for.

> Most of X is still in /usr/openwin, completely annoying to everyone who
> builds portable software or works with X on other systems.   That's
> probably the biggest example of where Solaris has always broken the
> guidelines that other systems follow.

    I was using this example for that reason because most sysadmins
and users run into that wall at some point and then scratch their
heads in wonder.  What is openwin they say?  I then point them to
OpenWindows which was a beautiful way to get things done once upon a
time :

    http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/stuff/openwin.png

> >     (1) Is there a UNIX standard ?  ( this is just yes or no )
> >     (2) What is the UNIX standard?
> >     (3) Do we respect that standard ?  ( Is this a yes or no ? )
>
> The UNIX(tm) standard is defined by The Open Group.   See
>         http://www.unix.org/
>
> UNIX 03 is the current version which Solaris 10 and later conform to.

I know that someone else will throw the standards man page at me.
Rightly so ;-)

> Solaris filesystem locations have also traditionally conformed to the
> SVID standard (originally from AT&T to define what SVR4 was), but I
> don't know if we've kept up to date on that.

I still look at the /usr/xpg4 and /usr/xpg6 directories and am curious
if anyone else anywhere is so compliant with standards as Sun?  I
certainly don't expect to see these things in Red Hat Enterprise Linux
or SUSE or even HPUX.  From time to time I place /usr/xpg4/bin at the
front of my PATH just to see what difference occurs in my end user
experience.  A few things are.  Most are not.

Dennis