On 3/21/06, Darren J Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dennis Clarke wrote:
> >     (1) Is there a UNIX standard ?  ( this is just yes or no )
>
> no, because there are no UNIX standards.  There are X/Open standards
> and IETF standards and SVR4 ABI requirements etc etc etc.

    Sort of a question about "does a zebra have black stripes or white
stripes" because in either case there it stands looking at you.  I
always "felt" that there are "UNIX standard" ways of doing things.  I
guess I could say there are "X/Open ways of doing things" but people
will stare blankly at me.  More so than usual I mean :-)

> >     (2) What is the UNIX standard?
>
> >     (3) Do we respect that standard ?  ( Is this a yes or no ? )
>
> I think what you are really getting at is the /opt, /etc/opt,
> /var/opt unbundled software layout from SRV4.

Yes Sir.  That is what I am thinking.  My writing often lacks the
ability to convey my thoughts regardless of the verbosity.

> They keyword there
> is "unbundled".  The stuff in /usr/sfw is NOT unbundled it is
> bundled and part of the operating system.  The SRV4 spec didn't
> cover "where to place stuff we don't want in the default path because we
> can't depend on it not chaning in a patch and we don't want customers to
> depend on it but we ourselves can choose to depend on it if we want to
> and sometimes do but have "contracts" in place for change control even
> then.", hence /usr/sfw.  Which we know know was a bad idea.

Its behind us now.

I wonder at the "wos".  As in s28s_hw4wos_05a, s9x_u6wos_08a or
s10_74L2a and most recently s10s_u1wos_19a.  I still don't know why
the wos rev was missing in /etc/release of S10 GA but thats a nit.

Once something is in the "wos" then thats is it.  It is part of the
operating system.  The concept of "core" operating system is a matter
for discussion but the "wos" is the whole thing right ?

> BTW the FHS is practically a total rip off of SRV4 and Solaris did,
> especially evident in the "share" directories some that that Sun (IIRC)
> created for saving diskspace on servers hosting diskless clients of
> mixed architectures.

I will go even further and say that Linux is a total rip off of the
UNIX world.  If that were not the case then why do we have a ls
command in Linux?  Why not a "dir" like in DOS or OS/2 ?  Its just not
innovative.  Cute.  But not innovative.

My version of innovation is the project Oxygen at MIT [1].   But I digress.

Dennis Clarke

[1] see http://www.oxygen.lcs.mit.edu/Overview.html