> We know of several ways to speed up install, and it
> will
> happen.
>
> We need to:
>
> 1) keep dvd spun up.
> 2) switch to lower cost compression instead of bzip2

I would strongly discourage switching from bzip2. bzip2 may be "slow", but CPUs
will only get faster, and meanwhile, the compression algorithm of bzip2 will
stay the same.

When one factors in that no other cruncher/compressor/packer/archiver gets that
kind of compressions, I believe that long term gains become pretty obvious.

> 3) stop rewriting /var/sadm/install/contents file
> repeatedly.

Shouldn't that already be eleviated by FS cache in RAM and logging?

> If we stored the packages as a single CPIO archive
> instead
> of separate files on the dvd, we could stream the
> data off
> continuously, uncompress it and install it all at the
> same
> time.

That might work.  But what happens when that pesky user selects a custom
installation and thereby screws up the `cpio` package dearchiving order?