>I would strongly discourage switching from bzip2. bzip2 may be "slow", but
>CPUs will only get fast
er, and meanwhile, the compression algorithm of bzip2 will stay the same.

If DVD drives do not get faster, CPUs will need to get around 10x
faster for bzip2 to catch up with DVDs; that is, if DVDs do not
get any faster.

Meanwhile, gzip -9 only compresses 5-10% less so the space saved
is neglible.

>When one factors in that no other cruncher/compressor/packer/archiver gets
>that kind of compressio
ns, I believe that long term gains become pretty obvious.

What gains?  Bandwidth is getting cheaper and faster; media will
grow in size.  There's plenty of room to use gzip now.

>> 3) stop rewriting /var/sadm/install/contents file
>> repeatedly.
>
>Shouldn't that already be eleviated by FS cache in RAM and logging?

No, because the file is written to disk "transactionally safe"; it's
completely flushed to disk and then renamed.  It may not need to be
read back; but it is written many times over.

>That might work.  But what happens when that pesky user selects a custom
>installation and thereby
screws up the `cpio` package dearchiving order?

The order would always be correct but a small install would need to
read the whole archive.

Casper