On 4/11/06, Keith M. Wesolowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'd like to propose a project similar to SFW Nevada for
> the forthcoming opening of the collection previously
> known as the Solaris Software Companion.  This body
> of software consists of Free and Open Source software
> not supported by Sun; it installs into /opt/sfw and is
> delivered with Solaris 10 and previous releases as
> a "co-bundled" product (that is, it is not actually a part
> of Solaris and is not installed unless specifically
> requested).  This project will oversee the Nevada - and
> possibly longer-term - development of and addition to
> the software in the companion collection.
>
> The initial leadership for this project will be the SFW
> Nevada C-team, and additional leaders will be added
> later as interest warrants.

Sounds like it will be impossible to get rolling. /opt/sfw is allready
owned by CCD group. That group is about as closed as it gets, just
this morning i wrote a response to an email about how CCD and
Blastwave can co-develop I think its also on topic for this mailing
list so i'm including it here as well.

The CCD and Blastwave are two projects that aim to do the same thing,
but in totally different ways. They have totally different
construction methods, focused on totally different audiences, and
basically are incompatible.  CCD has spent the better part of a year
working on its current release, totally closed off from the OpenSource
community. No mention of progress, no public alpha or beta releases.
No community input as to what packages are included. The source code
and modifications are supposedly made available sometime after release
but it certainly isn't out in the open.  Made by one person for a
select crowd that is willing to use one to 2 year old versions simply
because it was blessed by a team at sun and the "Sun" name is placed
on it.  The CCD project is about as closed as an "open source project"
can get. CCD is the only distribution that makes Debian stable seem
fresh and new.

How can CCD and Blastwave co-develop anything? CCD is hidden, and
Blastwave is public and moving towards being more public, CCD installs
its libraries in a different location and most likely use different
arguments and goals in building its distribution. Even 6 months after
release CCD packages will on average of one or two releases behind.
Thus all of its libraries will be useless to Blastwave. Most of the
non Sun OpenSolaris distro's are about being new, fresh, and
inventive, Blastwave embraces them and helps to extend them; CCD
probably won't be compatible with them so once again CCD will be
useless for those communities as well.

I guess if you have the "magic pass key" into the CCD project aka
being a Sun ID holder, so that you actually have input and can
actually see what is happening you can get excited about the totally
secluded project, for me even if it has the latest everything on
release date, it will be a non issue because the project goes against
every OpenSource principle, just the way that the Sun people that are
pushing the project like it. If they didn't want it that way, the
process would have been opened years ago, or at least post OpenSolaris
launch date.

James Dickens
uadmin.blogspot.com