On Thursday 20 April 2006 06:19 am, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> Some people are soooo stuck in thinking "it still works and so we are not
> going to fix it" attitude.  When I see yet another E4000 ( not E4500 )
> running Oracle for 70 people I just want to scream.  Really.  Running
> Solaris 8 of course.  Its maddening when I _know_ they can get a X2100 with
> a pile of RAM and support and totally replace the box.  The electricity
> savings alone will justify the increase in throughput.
>
> Drives me mad.  Or at least more mad.

Understood, but it's at least worth pondering how Sun's customers running
these legacy systems will move forward. Eventually they'll need to upgrade.
Will they replace with new SPARC systems, or will they replace with new
systems of another architecture. Solaris now offers them more options, and
other architectures offer more options other than Solaris. Wether these folks
keep these systems on Solaris or not will be determined. My guess is that
commodity hardware running Solaris will be the most attractive for those
folks.

> > Good to see something nice from you...life is too short, don't let it get
> > to you...take your family away and enjoy yourself for a couple days. Life
> > is what you make out of it...(I just had a vacation last week, it was
> > good. I missed all of your elequent posts!;-).
>
> I'm a lot of things .. but eloquence is definately lacking.
>
> OKay .. I think we need to keep the whole topic in the companion-discuss
> list.   Which is where I will go and look.

I'm fine with that, I need to make sure I'm subscribed to that list.

BTW, I just want to point out Dennis, I was in terrible need of a vacation,
and did get one, and didn't check my mail for an entire week and a half. It
felt good to get my mind off of the heat of things...that was the only reason
I suggested that, it really does help sometimes, it did for me.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering