On Monday 17 April 2006 08:05 pm, Eric Boutilier wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Alan DuBoff wrote:
>  > ...
>  > everyone, the blastwaves, the nexentras, pkgsrc, et
>  > all...or is this even possible? I think it would be
>  > possible to give these folks an > option by having a
>  > common set of libs that Sun and Community participates
>  > in, what do you think?
>
> We can certainly dream... So are you thinking that we
> try to establish something an /opt/groflib (GRand-unified
> OpenSolaris Freeware Library), mangaged by a non-partisan
> "governing" body. And encourage all stacks to contribute
> to maintaining a high quality/quantity /opt/groflib, and
> (more importantly, (IMO) agree to treat /opt/groflib with the
> same deference as they now treat /usr/lib...

Eric,

I don't know yet. IOW, I would like to first understand if that is even
possible. To do that I think we need to understand what each party with
interest in this would need, or if they would be interested. I don't know
that this would work, but yes, if we had one set of common libs that all the
various projects could build off of, maybe we could control the fragmentation
in the system that continues to happen with various distros of freeware.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering