> Don't you think using Java for this kind of things a
> bit of overhead?
> Its not like this app will be running on OSX or
> Windows.. why bother
> with Java then? Besides to do simple management
> thingy natively you need
> an extra layer, like JNI... I don't think its the
> right way to go
> frankly... :-)

 Define "overhead".  Lack of performance, memory
footprint, startup runtime, or just plain something not written in C
is considered overhead.  It's not like startup runtime
is a big factor as you don't run system maintance all
the time.  Memory is cheap, look at KDE written
in C++ and it's nice performance but memory
consumption might be a little more.  In fact
the java framework might be more advantagoues
to any gui desktop and more flexable in managing
a enterprise remotely.  Something has got to
change because SMC is *NOT* accpetable from
a usablity standpoint.  Could SMC be improved
like Darren pointed out?  Maybe but that would be
resolved in the ARC case.  Also note that in
the discussions a few times the project was refered
to as a "Solaris" project when it should have been
refered to as a "OpenSolaris" project with a well
known path of source distribution for all OpenSolaris
distributions.  Either that or a roadmap.

---Bob