Anze Vidmar wrote:
Thank you for the info. However, I'm still wondering why smb/cifs support was
never
included in the solaris kernel? Is it a legal issue?

We were talking about a CIFS client for Solaris in 1999 or so, but
we couldn't proceed because we couldn't make the business case.
At that time, Windows servers were less prevalent, and not nearly
as much data was stored on them, and Sun wasn't chasing the desktop,
where CIFS access seemed to matter.  There was also no way to get a
CIFS client other than to write it from scratch and an incomplete
protocol description.

Now, more data lives in a CIFS world, and it's clear that servers
will sometimes need access to it in a server room.  And we have an
open implementation as a starting point.

Rob T