Kaiwai & others,

I'll state that porting/migrating Microsoft-related
software to Solaris is pre-Y2000 idealogy. A statement
I made earlier mentions 'software maintenance' which
is the inherit flaw in this venture.

Can you imagine maintaining all of that software
you've just ported/migrated?? What about software only
available on the Mac OS X platform??

So if we tackle the post-Y2005 era, we'll see that
virtualization environments,containers, zones, and
abstraction layers seem more feasible and
maintainable.

This is more mainstream with video game emulation
under one architecture. Basically, you can run any
video game designed for any video game console under
the same PC hardware environment. So, why not do this
for everyday business/graphics apps and utilities??
Saves you time and money in the long run - and greatly
increases end-user and corporate acceptance.

Basically, you can install and run any Microsoft
OS-oriented software (i.e. Microsoft Office 2003,
Lotus Notes, SoftImage, or MS Flight Simulator) and
Linux/*BSD/GNU-based software under Solaris x86
without much effort if architected correctly. You can
even install and run the Nvidia SDK, as it is today,
with very minimal effort as an end-user.

~ Ken Mays

"Many of us don't have the free time to
port/migrate/test 20,847 GNU/Debian packages to
Solaris overnite - which is why we buy supercomputers
to do it for us...."

--------------------
On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 20:50 +1200, Kaiwai Gardiner
wrote:
> No, I think the thing worse than that, are those who
develop
> applications as if the whole world revolved around
Linux - take the
> gnome-cd application, its link to a linux cdrom.h
header - now
> wouldn't it be smarter to create an abstraction
layer between the
> devices and applications that that applications
don't directly link
> the system, thus make portability that wee bit
easier?

It's called HAL (hardware abstraction layer) and it
will land in
nevada shortly.

Laca