On Wed, 31 May 2006, Kaiwai Gardiner wrote:

> It would be nice to hear a 'this is what we're working on in the way of
> hardware support" -  then atleast whiners like me can say, "hey, it'll be
> around soon, they're working on it now" .

A quick look at the x86 HCL (and how much it has been growing) would go a
long way to answering those questions.

> Solaris/OpenSolaris - OpenSolaris "as an official distribution" hasn't been
> released yet; it'll be interesting to actually see if OpenSolaris turns into

Solaris is, to all intents and purposes, Sun's distro of the OpenSolaris code.
And we already have at least one release of that, Solaris 10 Update 1, with
Update 2 imminent.  (Granted, S10 FCS wasn't based on the OpenSOlaris code,
beacuse at the time, OpenSolaris disn't exist outside of a small pilot program,
of which I am proud to say I was a member.)

> the what Fedora does for RHEL; if we have a fully blown OpenSolaris
> 'community distro' then I think things will move forward, but if we for ever

We already have a fully blown OpenSolaris community distro--several, in
fact.  ShilliX, Belenix, Nextenta, and MarTux come to mind.

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638