On May 31, 2006, at 6:03 PM, Kaiwai Gardiner wrote:

The funny part, when running CDE; there doesn't seem to be that issue to the same extent as it is with GNOME running. I thought that maybe upgrading to Xorg 7.1 would correct the issue, but it seems to be more to do with how Solaris schedules its tasks.

I believe it's more related to the relatively light requirements of CDE on the gfx infrastructure vs. Gnome/KDE. It is quite possibly the lack of DRI (my understanding... maybe it's there now..)

Its even worse; I tried downloading and installing the Studio 11 patches using the Solaris update tool, like a good boy - well, the installation failed; I cruised over to /var/sadm/spool and found that the downloaded files were being added, but failed because the individual who wrote the Solaris Update tool, failed to include the -G to allow a global installation of the patch; and hence, I had to manually add the patches; something that shouldn't happen had there been some testing in that area.

I'm sure it's tested, but as with all things, there are always flaws. Instead of flaming, post your troubles and ask for help, and it'll get noticed and you'll get assisted. Outright flaming every time you run into an issue is just irritating everyone.

As for the paths; why aren't they setup correctly in root? if one tries to compile something in user, then drop down into root to go make install, why aren't all the necessary directories setup by default? I can handle having to install and use GCC; thats all good, but when paths aren't setup correctly; it is pretty painful.

Again, this was already discussed, I brought something to this effect up in the past week, and it was already responded to by Sun, along with a roadmap of what they plan to do. Go search.

As for FreeBSD; I might give Solaris Express (the next build) a try; I don't want bleeding edge, but I would like to be able to go, "you know, I really like that application; I'll download it, and compile it" and it actually compiles without needing to jump through 100 flaming hoops.

I give up discussing things with you, all you want to do is spout unsubstantiated garbage.

I'd be quite happy to make packages, upload them etc. etc. if it were made alot easier to compile software for Solaris, but due to the above issues, I can't.

If you can't figure out these basics, somehow I doubt you'll be making any packages anytime soon. I never realized setting PATH was that difficult.

As FreeBSD right now, the only thing I dislike is the slow C++ compiling, thanks to GCC, then again, I play Mr Conservative using - Os -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe, which, although not heavily optimised to the hilt, still provides a pretty damn good desktop experience. Xorg + KDE 3.5.2 + Amarok + Koffice = great desktop.

That's nice, but this is OSOL-Discuss.

I give up,
David